How to Share XLS on a Network
- 1). Open the Excel workbook you wish to share on a network. Any Excel file can be shared, regardless of its content, formulas or other features used in the program.
- 2). Click the "Tools" menu at the top of the Excel program window. Choose the "Share Workbook" option. A pop-up window will appear for the sharing options.
- 3). Select the "Editing" tab of the "Share Workbook" window. Click in the check box on this page which turns on the network sharing features for this Excel file.
- 4). Click the "Advanced" tab. Configure the sharing options for the file. For example, sometimes two users may edit the same cell in the file. These settings provide a resolution to decide which user entry takes priority. Additionally, you may select a time period for the file to keep track of changes.
- 5). Press the "OK" button when settings are complete.
- 6). Place the Excel file on a shared network drive or folder that all users may access. The file is now available for multiple simultaneous viewing and editing over the network. Each time a user saves the spreadsheet, the screen will automatically update with all the other data entered by other users.