Katadyn Hiker Purifier Cleaning Instructions
- 1). Remove the top handle and spout by turning it counterclockwise. Set these pieces aside on a clean cloth.
- 2). Remove the ceramic pre-filter that sets on top of the filter cartridge. Clean the ceramic pre-filter with the green scrub-pad provided with the system, Clean the pre-filter until the it turns a lighter color.
- 3). Twist the Hiker cartridge counterclockwise. Unscrew the filter and pull it out of the bottle.
- 4). Swish the cartridge around in water until the color lightens. Do not allow any contaminated water into the cartridge's output barb while you're rinsing.
Cleaning and Storing
- 1). Add 2 tsp. of bleach to 1 L of water. Run the liter of water through the pump.
- 2). Pump the unit until the water is purged. Remove the filter cartridge and let it dry for at least three days.
- 3). Run 1 L of fresh water through the system before your next trip. This flushes the unit for optimal performance.